Extensions and Job Changes

Management and Professional Staff

When changes to an existing appointment are required, those changes are processed via the Job Change Request form. There are many types of Job Changes for MaPS appointment types. Each job change is outlined below in addition to job aids related to Job Change transactions.

The most common type of job change is to extend the end-date of a term position. Provided the appointment is eligible for extension it can be extended using the Job Change Request form.

The transaction type: Extension allows users to change:

  • Expected End Date of the Appointment
  • Accounting where the salary should be charged (if changing)
  • Accounting where the benefits should be charged (if different from salary)
  • Changes to Schedule

Used when a Temporary job/appointment is extended beyond the original end date but where the automatic termination has already been processed. If the job record is still active see Extension transaction above.

The transaction type: Correction – End Job allows users to change:

  • Expected End Date of the Appointment
  • Accounting where the salary should be charged (if changing)
  • Accounting where the benefits should be charged (if different from salary)
  • Changes to schedule

Used when the salary and or benefits of an appointment are to be charged to a different funding.

The transaction type: Accounting Change allows users to change:

  • Accounting where the salary should be charged
  • Accounting where the benefits should be charged (if different from salary)

Used when an employee’s reporting relationship has changed.
Updates to reports to data are not required when the incumbent in a position changes. When an incumbent changes, the new incumbent inherits all the reporting relationships associated with that Position.

The transaction type: Reports to Update allows users to change:

  • The position number to which an employee reports

Management and Professional Staff or their managers may request a temporary change in their standard hours of work, for a period of time not less than two months and not more than six months. After 45 days, both Manager and employee will evaluate the Temporary Change in Hours and assess the impact and ongoing viability. Staff Members that are eligible to participate in this program are Regular and Fixed Term Management and Professional staff who have completed their probationary period.

Managers would approve and request this change through PeopleSoft/Job Change Request for a Temporary Change in Hours. To create a job change:

  • Log into PeopleSoft and under “Main Menu” select “Manager Self Service” then select “Job Change Requests”
  • Select type “Temporary Change in Hours” and the form will prepopulate with all of the employee’s information.
  • Change the Hours on the right side of the form which will also change the compensation
  • Change the schedule at the bottom of the form
  • In the comments section list when the Temporary Change in hours will be completed.
  • Submit the request for approval

It is suggested to allow at least one week between the date of the job change request and the start date of the change to avoid any over/underpayments. 

The following is important information to consider when reviewing and approving these requests:  


Temporary Change in Hours can be requested for a maximum of six months. The only time that a Temporary Change in Hours can exceed six months is if the change is going to be permanent, at which point a Job Opening Request (JOR) will need to be submitted. The JOR should be noted as a “position with changes” and include the new hours of work/FTE.

If the Change is not feasible for your department, the Manager has the right to revoke this arrangement within 30 days written (via email) notice. 

Minimum hours of work

The minimum requirement for working hours is 14 hours per week, this will ensure that an employee retains their benefits for the duration of the change.

If your employee returns earlier than planned

  • You must notify Human Resources by emailing hrops@ucalgary.ca the name, UCID and revised date of return of the employee.

If you need to change hours of work

  • If you wish to adjust the hours of work from the original request, a new Job Change Request will need to be submitted. This will have to indicate the new change and the original six month timeframe remains in place.

Fixed Term Employees

  • If an employee is project funded and the current end date of the Temporary Change in Hours aligns with the end date of the current contact, when submitting an extension please indicate if the Temporary Change in Hours is also being extended (to the maximum of six months) or terminated.
  • The Temporary Change in Hours request is not meant to help manage shortfalls in position/project funding.

Used when changing an employee’s assigned work schedule. This transaction does not allow for a change in the employee’s standard hours. See Article 18.05 of the AUPE collective agreement for more details on changes in work schedule.

The transaction type: Change in Work Schedule allows users to change:

  • Weekly work schedule, including schedule ID

Used for a permanent increase to base compensation for the purpose of maintaining equity in the department and/or marketplace. Mid Year adjustments must be approved by an HR Compensation Analyst prior to submission of the online form.

The transaction type: Mid Year Market Adjustment allows users to change

  • Annual compensation rate


Manage Employee Expiring Appointments Quick Reference Guide


Accessing HR Manager Reports Quick Reference Guide


Job Change Request Help Document