Group Benefit Premiums
Monthly premiums and cost sharing can be found on the Benefits at a Glance page. Half of the monthly premiums are deducted from each pay.
Health and dental benefits are provided through Alberta Blue Cross. Life Insurance and Long Term Disability benefits are insured by Manulife.
Each year, the university reviews group benefit premiums for each staff group. Premiums are adjusted, as required, to ensure adequate funding to maintain coverage. Many factors affect the ongoing costs of providing our group benefit coverage, including:
- Changes in the demographics of our staff
- Increased utilization of services
- Inflationary increases in health and dental expenses
- Claim reserve requirements by the insurer
- New collective agreement
Below are recent updates to premiums.
Sept. 1, 2019 Adjustments
The following adjustments will take effect Sept. 1, 2019, and will be reflected on the Sept. 25, 2019 pay date. The rates shown in the tables are monthly premiums with half of the monthly deduction taken from each pay.
Extended Health Care
Rates below are for full-time employees (part-time rates are pro-rated - refer to Benefits at a Glance).
All Other Benefits
There are no changes to the premiums currently in effect for the following benefits:
- Dental, rates are cost shared based on the collective agreement; part-time employees pay a pro-rated share
- Basic Life Insurance, 100% paid by the employee
- Long Term Disability - Regular and Fixed Term, 100% paid by the employee
- Optional Life Insurance, employee, spousal and dependent child, 100% paid by the employee
For an overview of your benefits and the monthly premiums, refer to the Benefits at a Glance document.